Thursday, September 3, 2009

Lemony Carrot Soup



Ok, I am guilty of taking the no-recipe approach to soups (as you can see in a couple of my previous soup posts). It's because I view soups the same way as I view fried rice---as a "throw in whatever's leftover in the fridge" kind of meal.

Today for lunch I made carrot soup (Yes, I love soup!). I decided to measure everything this time so that anyone can follow this recipe.

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups of roughly chopped carrots
4 large sage leaves (fresh)
olive oil
2 cups homemade unsalted chicken stock
1/4 cup of cream
1 tbsp butter
juice of half a small lemon
1/2 tsp minced ginger
1 large garlic clove
1/3 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp of cloves
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Drizzle olive oil on the carrots and toss to coat. Sprinkle chopped sage leaves on top and put in oven for about 20 minutes in the lower 1/3 rack at 450 degrees until carrots are tender and starting to caramelize. Add carrots and sage to a blender and pour in 1 1/2 cups of stock, cream, ginger, garlic, cinnamon and cloves. Puree in blender. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Thin out with remaining 1/2 cup stock if needed. Pour soup into a pot and heat over burner, adding the butter so that it melts into the soup.


I think most creamy soups would benefit by the addition of sour cream as a garnish at the end, but I didn't have any in the fridge. Nevertheless, even without the sour cream it was delicioso!



0 comments: