Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Japanese New Years Dinner in Hawaii


One thing you gotta know about Hawaii if you've never been there: there's always tons of food. Forget weight watchers or Atkins. This isn't the place to count calories.

Take for example our New Years dinner--we had enough food to feed twice as many people as we had. My dad cooked up some steak and pork ribs while my uncle made the beef rolls, fish cakes, tempura, and Tyler Florence's ultimate roast chicken. My mom sliced up the yokan (Japanese red bean dessert) and arranged all of it on a platter. My dad also bought some sashimi, sushi and poke while I made a stop at Shirokiya and got a whole bunch of goodies... It was a feast, and we ate till we were stuffed... Then we ate again!

Japanese black beans and assorted pickled vegetables
Poke
Seaweed bundles and Japanese vegetables
Different types of sweet fish and shrimp
Japanese veggies
my uncle's beef rolls
yokan
pork ribs
steak
sweet potato and red bean cake
uncle's ultimate roast chicken
uncle's fish cakes
sweet potato and zucchini tempura





1 comments:

Jennica Goo said...

*DROOL* ugh, i'm so jealous. I haven't had a good Japanese New Year dinner for years. sigh...