Monday, October 26, 2009

Dinner Party in West L.A.



Our friends Arthur and Kelly invited us over for dinner this past weekend, and little did we know, were we in for a multi course feast. Dinner started with various Chinese appetizers, many of which I had never tasted before. These included turnip cakes, kelp with dried anchovies, morning glory salad, tofu, sticky rice, pickled bamboo, and dumplings.

Kelly also made an amazing pumpkin soup that her mother showed her how to make. It contained pumpkin, walnuts and swiss cheese, and all the flavors melded so perfectly. I need to get the recipe for this dish.

After the appetizers, we had melt in your mouth marinated pork ribs and beef, and a Chinese custard tart for dessert. Brad and I also brought some pastries from Buttercup Bakery (pics in my next post). The perfect night wrapped up with some music making. We were so lucky to have been treated to this delicious food!

Pumpkin Soup
Turnip Cakes

Morning Glory Salad
Sticky Rice wrapped in leaves

Sticky rice, unwrapped, with miso sauce
Dumplings stuffed with rice noodles

Tofu

Pickled Bamboo
Chinese Custard Tart

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Jolene so much for posting the pictures. I am so glad that you enjoy the food. Your pictures made the food looks so yummy. These Taiwanese/Chinese dishses were nowhere to find in the Chinese restaurants on the Westside. I really hope that one day there will be an authentic Chinese or Taiwnese restaurant here in West LA. Mayby I can start my own truck providing homemade Taiwanese appertizers and dim sum...etc :D