Thursday, June 3, 2010

Gratitude and Food


I've been M.I.A. recently because I'm so busy at work, but you can expect more posts to come soon, I promise!

Until then, I am in a rambling mood, and I wanted to share with you all something that I've started recently: a gratitude journal. I started this journal after reading about it in a book. The concept is that every night before you go to bed, you are supposed to write down five things that you are grateful for.

Food actually appears quite often in my journal, funny as that sounds. The first time I wrote "pear" in it, I laughed and almost erased it. But then I started thinking, Is it really that silly to be grateful for a fruit? I feel that food is something we frequently take for granted. So I kept the "pear" there. And a few days later I wrote "asparagus"... and then "watermelon". By appreciating our food, we bring awareness into our lives and we are reminded to enjoy the little things. Even pears.

Showing appreciation of your food can be as simple as pausing to give thanks before a meal to the cook, to God, or to the animal/plants that you are partaking in. It's a reminder to slow down, savor life, and recognize all the resources that went into bringing that tasty morsel to your mouth (from the worker who picked your apple to the truck driver who drove it to the market!).

What are you grateful for?

I wanted to share my list for today:

1. You, who is reading this! Thank you for stopping by. :)
2. Carrots, the "poor man's ginseng". So humble, yet it elevates every dish I put it in.
3. Namaste Yoga. On FitTV. It nourishes my body and spirit, and my day just doesn't feel complete without it.
4. The people I work for, who are amazing and teach me about selflessness and gratitude.
5. B-rad. Cannot say enough about how great he is.




3 comments:

Fran said...

Your list is gonna be very long by Thanksgiving.

Fran said...

Super cute.

Jolene said...

no kidding! haha