Sunday, June 6, 2010

Chego, West L.A.

Prime Rib bowl, $9

Chego, owned by the famous Kogi truck guy, opened somewhat recently here on the west side to much hype. I got to try their pork belly bowl and their prime rib bowl (pictured above). The food is a fusion of Korean and many other Asian flavors, and it really packs a punch (read: It's a bit spicy). I personally prefer their prime rib bowl over the pork belly because there wasn't any protein on the belly--it was 100% fat. I guess I'm not used to that... It tasted good, but I really wanted a textural contrast--it felt a little gross eating pure fat. I really want to go back and try their ooey gooey fries and their kimchi and chicken bowls.

Chego serves all of their meals on biodegradable containers, so it feels like a take-out joint even though there are some tables for people who prefer to dine in. If you do take out, you have to wrap the meal yourself. They provide tin foil, bags, etc...

Finally, parking can get a little tight if you plan on getting there during peak hours (it's a tiny parking lot). Turnaround is fast, though, so you won't be waiting for long.

0 comments: