Tuesday, February 16, 2010

An Everyday Soup Meal and Sprouting Rice



My Asian food addiction is still going strong and I've been making and consuming dashi soup broth like crazy. This soup has napa cabbage, sprouted brown rice and thinly sliced pork inside a broth of dashi mixed with just a little soy sauce. You can also add mirin, a japanese cooking wine, to taste for added flavor.

With some leftover Harumi carrot tuna salad, it was such a satisfying and healthy meal!

By the way, I've been sprouting my brown rice lately. How do you do it? First soak the brown rice overnight in filtered water. Then rinse the rice and drain the water from it. Place the rice in a colander and let it sit, covered, for 12 hours. Then rinse it again and let it drain. Let it sit for another 12 hours covered (don't put it in direct sunlight). Then cook as normal. Sprouted brown rice is more nutritious than regular rice and is easier to digest.


2 comments:

Jennica Goo said...

Wow, that meal looks perfect. I love brown rice. Your sprouting method sounds intriguing. Does it change the flavor?

Jolene said...

I guess it's supposed to make the rice "nuttier" tasting, but I really can't taste the difference to be honest :)