Saturday, February 20, 2010

More Everyday Asian Meals




Shungiku is garland chrysanthemum. It is commonly used in Asian soups and salads. I found a bunch of organic shungiku at Nijiya and bought it without even knowing what to do with it. I decided to add it to a stir-fry. It's a bit bitter, and it's said to be good for the digestive tract. I stir-fried it with thinly sliced beef, bean sprout and turnip and topped it all with chopped leftover inari tofu skins.

Below are two egg drop soups I made recently. They contain turnip greens, turnip bulb, bean sprouts and beef in it. The broth is dashi stock that I made myself. You can also add brown rice to it and season the broth with mirin (a japanese cooking wine). I just seasoned to taste with salt and soy sauce. Add the egg at the last minute and turn off the heat once the egg white has cooked (ideally the yolk will still be a little runny). Alternatively, instead of keeping the egg yolk whole you can mix it all up inside the broth.


0 comments: