Saturday, August 22, 2009

Bonjour!

After reading Julia Child's autobiography "My Life in France," I got so inspired to cook French food--heck, any food. I went crazy and bought a casserole dish, stainless steel bowl, and a whole bunch of groceries. Last week, I was able to cook for both Brad and I for only $40 each. We did not eat out once (ok, maybe just once for lunch). I was amazed that we were able to find such good quality ingredients (a lot of it organic and/or from farmer's market) for a good price.

This week, it cost a little more, but this also counted essential pantry items that we were in desperate need of and that will last a long time (e.g. spices, butter, and grains). We also spent a little bit on kitchen utensils (that casserole dish, stainless steel bowl, etc). Opening my fridge and seeing all of the great ingredients I bought this week makes me so happy. Cooking for my guy and seeing how much he enjoys my cooking experiments (even if they flop: see "Raspberry Clafouti" below), also makes me really happy.

Today I made an amazing recipe from Hubert Keller's appearance on Top Chef Masters. It was one of the most delicious things I've ever made.

On the menu for later this week are Figgy Piggy Cornish Game Hen (from this month's Gourmet) and Julia Child's famous Boeuf Bourguignon. I cannot wait!

Below are some of the "Hits" of the past week

CORN CAKES WITH SALMON AND SALMON ROE

This is a Top Chef Masters recipe by Chef Hubert Keller. It is AMAZING. Probably the most gourmet thing I have made so far. It's so easy to make because there's a video on the Top Chef Masters website on how to prepare the dish from start to finish. I used fresh organic white corn, not canned corn like the video suggests. I think it makes all the difference.

Recipe:
http://www.bravotv.com/foodies/recipes/thinly-sliced-salmon-baked-in-tender-corn-pancakes-with-watercress-sauce

Video:
http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef-masters/videos/hubert-kellers-scottish-salmon

Corn Pancake Batter
3 to 4 ears fresh young corn, husked
3 eggs
2 tablespoons flour
Salt and pepper to taste
Salmon
8 ounce salmon fillet
4 tablespoons Caviar, such as whitefish, salmon, or sturgeon
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon virgin olive oil

Watercress Sauce (Optional--I didn't use this)
1 small bunch watercress, stemmed
1 teaspoon virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced shallot
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1 tablespoon cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Garnish
30 blanched asparagus tips, about 3 inches long, fanned
30 1/2- inch-wide slices tomato, fanned
1 teaspoonmixed black and white sesame seeds
1 tablespoon sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives

My plate:

Brad's plate:



A NOT QUITE PERFECT RASPBERRY CLAFOUTI

This was my first attempt at clafouti, and I made two mistakes: too much batter in the ramekin and too much whisking of the flour mixture. The taste was great, but it was rubbery and took way too long to cook (I poured out a lot of the batter).

http://aveceric.com/category/recipes

1 tablespoon butter
¼ cup sugar + more for ramekin
1 large egg
6 tablespoons half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup fresh raspberries
Vanilla ice cream (optional)





FRUIT SMOOTHIE

Brad has been making fruit smoothies every day for breakfast. It's just fruit (bananas, peaches and berries are his faves right now) and a couple of cubes of ice. I also add coconut milk. We calculated that each smoothie costs us just mere cents.


EGG ON EGG ON EGG

I made this dish up. It's asparagus with egg (a poached egg would be nice, but the ones in this picture are scrambled) topped with a mustard hollandaise sauce (I make this from scratch, hence the second "egg" in the title of this dish) and topped with salmon roe (hence the third "egg" in the title)

-asparagus on bottom
-sunny side up/poached/scrambled eggs on top
-mustard hollandaise on top of that
-salmon roe on top of everything



ROASTED CAULIFLOWER

This is so good by itself, or with hollandaise sauce.
-cauliflower (450 degrees for 25 minutes in lower 1/3 rack)
-olive oil
-pepper, salt



SAGE SWEET POTATO SOUP

This is something I just whipped together. The sage in this soup makes it special. I didn't really go by a recipe, but here's the ingredients:

-homemade chicken stock
-yam (450 degrees for 25 minutes in lower 1/3 rack with olive oil, pepper and chopped fresh sage)
-butter
-water



THAI CURRY WITH FRIED STICKY RICE

This is also something I just whipped together. I didn't go by a recipe, but here are the ingredients:

THAI CURRY
-thai chili paste
-coconut milk
-curry powder
-tamarind paste
-cumin powder
-honey/sugar
-ginger
-garlic
-veggies and meat of your choice

FRIED RICE

-day old rice
-onion
-carrots
-sesame oil
-soy sauce
-water chestnuts
-garlic
-ginger



CHICKEN WITH MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE
The chicken is from the farmer's market, which makes all the difference. We cannot get enough of this chicken.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roast-Chicken-with-Mustard-Vinaigrette-1800


1 6- to 7-pound roasting chicken
1 large shallot
2 fresh rosemary sprigs
2 fresh sage sprigs
1 cup Mustard Vinaigrette
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage


PAN DRIPPINGS HOLLANDAISE SAUCE

Serve this sauce with the chicken!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Poulet-Saute-aux-Herbes-de-Provence-354343

2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon dry white wine or dry white vermouth
2 to 3 tablespoons butter, cut into 1-inch cubes (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, fresh fennel fronds, or fresh parsley (optional)

0 comments: