Monday, September 20, 2010

Oaxaca Living Food


Brad and I were at the Mar Vista Farmer's Market on a Sunday. Our empty bellies were nagging at us, so we found ourselves in the hot food area... The smells of made to order crepes, burritos and ribs beckoned us and Brad darted off to get a giant apple sausage quesadilla.

A raw foods booth that specialized in Oaxacan cuisine caught my attention. I couldn't believe my eyes... I mean, how L.A. is that? Not just raw food, but Oaxacan raw food? Wow. I felt sorry for them because they weren't as crowded as the rest of the booths, so I got a sample of the raw zucchini pasta. I've had a lot of raw zucchini pastas before (Leaf, Juliano's, Rawvolution), and this one was on par with the rest of them. They even came with little "meatballs" made of nuts. I bought one (I think it was $9). It was just the light lunch I was looking for. They also sell whole young coconuts that you can drink the water from and then eat the flesh.

I love this farmer's market more than the Santa Monica ones because it's less crowded, there's still a live jazz band, and there are even picnic tables. It is open Sundays 8:30-2 pm.



0 comments: