Monday, April 12, 2010

Lotus Root Soup


I'm slowly getting into Chinese soup recipes... I love how the Chinese use dried herbs and fruits to season their soups. Not only do they add a depth of flavor, they also provide health benefits.

I picked up a lotus root from Nijiya the other day. It's a giant one!

I decided to make it into a lotus soup. I didn't have all of the necessary seasonings that I would have liked (dried dates, honey dates, dried cuttle fish), but I made do with the goji berries that I have been snacking on all week. This soup is outstanding. Sensational, really. It makes me think, "What have I been missing out on all these years??"

Ingredients

1 Lotus root
1 Purple Potato
Dried Goji berries (handful)
2 slices ginger
1 crushed garlic
1 peeled carrot
2 inch piece of daikon
1/4 onion
1/2 lemon (no juice left, just the rind)
cilantro to garnish
salt to taste
You can also add couple dashes of fish sauce or soy sauce (or both!) to taste (optional)

Add all ingredients to a pot and cover with water. Let simmer on stove top for 2-3 hours. You can add meat to this recipe too! I think it would be great with pork short ribs thrown in.



Here is another lotus soup recipe that I will be making once I get the other ingredients!

0 comments: