Monday, April 12, 2010

Everyday Meals

Just some pics of recent everyday home made meals...

Brad's fried rice

Ingredients:

Brown rice
Any veggies you have on hand, chopped up (he usually uses napa cabbage, leek, onion, de-seeded shishito peppers, red bell pepper)
Thinly sliced beef or pork
Dash of Mirin
Soy sauce to taste
Pinch of sugar
1 egg
Red ginger slices to garnish
Shredded nori to garnish


This is my fake clay pot everyday meal. I guess I should be making this in a clay pot to be authentic, but I don't have one so I just do it in a regular stainless steel pot. The ingredients vary from day to day but include:

Ingredients

daikon
carrot
onion
leek
lotus root
potato
napa cabbage
ginger
garlic
Thinly sliced beef or pork
1 cap full of mirin
1 cap full of soy sauce
1 tsp miso

I put an inch of water in the pot and throw all of the ingredients in except for the meat and the miso. Then I let it boil on the stove top. You can simmer for hours, but I usually get impatient after about 15-30 minutes. Then I add the meat and let cook for a few minutes. Then I add the miso at the very end. This is because miso has good bacteria in it (like the bacteria in yogurt) that you don't want to kill in the cooking process.

0 comments: