Tuesday, July 24, 2007

M Café de Chaya, Part 2

July 24, 2007

My friend and I went to Melrose today to do some girly thrift store clothes hunting, and guess what just happened to be on our way:



Is this an excuse to eat more cupcakes? Of course!

On a Tuesday at 4 pm, this place was a lot less crowded. I ordered the Grilled Tuna Sandwich (“glazed with teriyaki sauce and garnished with sliced avocado, umeboshi-pickled red onions, daikon sprouts, spicy yuzu mayo and fresh shiso leaf served on a house-baked whole wheat bun”). This came with a side of deli salad, so I chose the broccolini.

Now here is where I went a little crazy, as only a food blogger can: in addition to ordering the tuna sandwich and the obligatory Pellegrino, I got a Pistachio mini cupcake, a Chocolate mini cupcake, and a slice of their special Carrot Cake (it's okay, it’s macrobiotic!).

While I was ordering, I realized that I might get funny looks if they brought all of that dessert to my table, so I ingeniously asked for the dessert as take-out ("Huh? No, I'm not gonna eat all of that myself. Um, I'm just getting it for a friend.. *cough*").

The food was delivered in under five minutes. My tuna sandwich looked so pretty, I couldn’t wait to bite into it:



I was a little disappointed to discover that the tuna wasn’t a fillet: it was a patty of tuna mixed with green onions and peppers. But those lost points were quickly earned back when I saw that the patty was cooked medium rare.

With all the accoutrements, the burger was a unique, tasty blend of creamy (from the avocado and the mayo), spicy (from the peppers and the daikon sprouts) and tangy (from the pickled onions).


The pistachio cupcake was as amazing as I’d remembered only two days earlier.. The chocolate was great too, but still not as moist and buttery as the pistachio:



At this point, I was stuffed. But I felt it necessary that I move on to the carrot cake:



It was sheer bliss: not too sweet, with a cream cheese frosting to die for (but I’m sure that wasn’t real cream cheese, right? ;) ). It is amazing that this was made with no refined sugar. As a result, I didn't get that terrible sugar rush I usually feel after I eat a dessert. My friend doesn’t particularly like carrot cake, and she was blown away by M Café’s moist, gingery version.

My friend also ordered the two-salad combo of the seaweed salad and the kale salad after reading my last blog entry:



I think that she’s still dreaming about that kale salad, she loved it that much. The seaweed salad was less of a hit: it was just plain seaweed with no dressing or seasoning. Weird.

Regardless, the meal was a success, and we were already plotting our next visit before the day was over. M Café Part 3? Stay tuned… :)

0 comments: