Friday, July 20, 2007

Father's Office

July 19, 2007

After an evening at the Hammer Museum’s “I like to rock” concert series, I realized that gushing over smooshed vases and getting this close to Low vs. Diamond and Castledoor really works up one’s appetite.

So I set my sights on Father’s Office… at 10 pm. Yes, I knew what a mess this was going to be. So cleverly, I called ahead to order take out… only to be told, “We only accept in-person orders”. Well, ok, we’re like 5 minutes away. “How long will the wait be for a burger?” “Hmm… 15 minutes. I mean, it shouldn’t take long to grill a burger”.

Just as expected, the place was busy. We waited for about 30 minutes (hmm, how long does it take to cook a burger?) before our food was brought out. The place was noisy, small and crowded, so I was glad we did take-out.

Now to that burger… I’ll start describing it from the inside and work my way outward.

I ordered my burger medium rare, and it came out perfectly pink in the center. The meat itself was smoky, grill-marked, juicy and adequately thick. Over the meat were thin layers Blue maytag and Gruyere cheese. The flavors of the cheese and the arugala covering it were pretty subtle. What took over most of the flavor was the caramelized onions and bacon compote. The onions were cooked soft, caramelized until syrupy and sweet with a touch of spiciness. Delicious. All of this was sandwiched between a flaky and light French roll. And all for $11? Not bad…

Father’s Office
1018 Montana Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90403
(310) 393-2337

BlogCatalog

0 comments: